Humidity and moisture often lead to issues with mould. Some homes struggle with mould due to poor ventilation or leaks and mould can cause serious health issues.
Exposure to mould can cause a number of health issues like throat irritation, stuffy nose, eye irritation, coughing and wheezing, as well as skin irritation in some cases. Inhaling mould spores can be dangerous, especially for those that suffer from asthma and other respiratory issues.
If you have mould and want to get rid of it, one of the most effective options is to use Clove oil as it will actually kill the mould. Many mould sprays on the market simply bleach the mould spores. You think you have got rid of it, but you just can't see it - which can be a real problem!
While wearing gloves, clean mouldy surfaces with a combination of 4 litres of hot water, 1 tablespoon bicarb of soda and half a cup of vinegar.
Add a quarter teaspoon of clove oil to a litre of water. Use a spray bottle to lightly mist the mould. Leave it for 20 minutes and wipe off. Spray again and leave. It can take up to 48 hours for mould spores to dry and drop off.
Here are some tips if you want to prevent mould from being a problem in your home:
- Use dehumidifiers, fans, and open windows to help reduce the moisture in your home. Be more active about this during hot, humid months.
- Open windows and doors and use fans to encourage air flow and good ventilation
- Fix plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
- Do what you can to prevent rain water from getting into your home. Check potential problem areas regularly.
- Spread towels out after using them so that they dry more quickly. Do not store any damp linen.
- Minimise containers left in the shower for easier cleaning and better circulation
- Wipe down the shower with a towel or squeegee after each use.
- Store items in dry, well-ventilated areas.
- Use Bicarb in areas where moisture is a problem as it can help to absorb excess moisture PLUS it can help to kill mould.
- Treat areas regulalry with clove oil to kill spores.
Mould is a serious problem and can contribute to health issues. It should be dealt with as soon as you become aware of it.