Our nappy balm recipe is a great method for making your own gentle and natural balm with essential oils for use with babies.
The recipe below will make around 200ml.
We use only doTERRA® essential oils when making our recipe because we have 100% confidence in their purity and potency. If using other branded essential oils, do your research to be confident there are no fillers or synthetic oils used in the essential oil.
Did you know? We sell a Nappy Balm Kit that contains almost everything you need for this recipe along with labels for the jars. To view our kit click HERE.
What you need
- 40g Coconut Oil (not Fractionated Coconut Oil)
- 40g Organic Shea Butter
- 10g Bees Wax
- 30g Zinc Oxide
- 15g Organic Bentonite Clay
- 1 teaspoon of Carrier Oil (e.g. Fractionated Coconut Oil or Almond Oil)
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- 5 drops Frankincense essential oil
- Glass Jar/s (2 x 120ml jars is ideal)
What you do
- Place the Shea Butter and Bees Wax into a glass bowl (e.g. Pyrex) and gently melt over heat using a double boil method. Be careful of the hot steam.
- Once the Shea Butter and Bees Wax has melted, add in the Coconut Oil and Carrier Oil and mix until well combined.
- Remove the bowl from the saucepan.
- Add in the Zinc Oxide and Bentonite Clay and mix. Allow mixture to cool.
- Once cooled add in the essential oils. It is important to allow the mixture to cool before adding the essential oils so that the therapeutic qualities of the oils are not destroyed by the heat.
- Mix the ingredients together and spoon into the jar/s.
- Let the mixture set further overnight.
Important! Bees wax has a low flash point. Be aware of this and only work with low heat temperatures while preparing this recipe. While the risk of the bees wax reaching flash point is low while double boiling, it is important to be aware of this.