Our natural deodorant recipe has been tried and tested and we love it. It is so simple to make and only takes around 10-15 minutes (maybe longer for your first try). We have been making our own deodorant for many years now and wouldn’t go back to other commercially available deodorants.
We use only doTERRA® essential oils when making our recipe because we have 100% confidence in their purity and potency. If using other branded essential oils, do your research to be confident there are no fillers or synthetic oils used in the essential oil.
Did you know? We sell a Deodorant Kit that contains everything you need for this recipe along with labels for the jars. To view our kit click HERE.
What you need
- 15g Organic Shea Butter
- 40g Organic Bicarbonate Soda
- 15g Coconut Oil (not Fractionated Coconut Oil)
- 10g Arrowroot (Tapioca Flour)
- 5g French White Kaolin Clay
- 3 drops Organic Glycerine
- 2 drops of Vitamin E Acetate
- Essential Oils (your choice - see our suggestions below)
- Glass Jar (120ml is an ideal size)
What you do
- Place the Shea Butter in the glass jar you will use for the final product (this saves having to transfer the mix and avoids mess and waste).
- Place the jar in a saucepan on the stove with simmering water that is only about 1/3 the height of the jar (be careful). This is similar to the double boiling process.
- Allow the Shea Butter to melt - you may need to gently stir it to assist break up the larger pieces. Once melted, turn off the heat and remove the jar from the water using kitchen gloves. Be extremely careful with this step not to drop the jar.
- In a small bowl, mix together the Bicarbonate Soda, Arrowroot and Kaolin Clay. Add this dry mix in the melted Shea Butter and stir until blended.
- Add in the Coconut Oil. The fat in the coconut oil will help the mixture to set.
- Add in the Glycerine and stir.
- When cooled slightly, add in the Vitamin E and essential oils (see below for suggestions). Do not add the oils until mixture has cooled otherwise the therapeutic qualities of the oil will be lost.
- Stir well and leave to set. The setting process may take a few hours. In warmer climates, you may need to place in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (or overnight) until the mix solidifies.
For women, try the following essential oil mix:
- 4 drops Peppermint
- 4 drops Tea Tree
- 6 drops Tangerine
- 6 drops Lime
- 3 drops Clove
- 2 drops Geranium
- 3 drops Lavender
- 4 drops Cedarwood
For men, try the following essential oil mix:
- 10 drops Cedarwood
- 5 drops Sandalwood
- 5 drops Tea Tree
- 5 drops Lime
- 5 drops Frankincense
- 5 drops Lemon
- 2 drops Lavender